Planning and Zoning
Economic Development begins with Planning and Zoning. The city utilizes a Comprehensive Zoning and Master Plan known as One Watauga, which was adopted by City Council on April 25, 2016.
Proper zoning of property is required to receive a Certificate of Occupancy. Platting may also be required.
Zoning Map One Watauga Development Strategy/Master Plan Zoning Process Platting Process ZBA Process
The main types of Zoning used in the city are as follows:
- Local Business (LB): A restricted business district comprised of business and professional service establishments and retail stores serving primarily the everyday shopping needs of the surrounding residential neighborhood.
- General Business (GB): All those businesses and service establishments and retail stores necessary to the everyday and occasional shopping needs of the public.
- Commercial (C): All-purpose business district providing areas for the total service, retail, and wholesale trade needs of the community
- Single Family Attached (SF-6): Provide for residential areas with medium population densities within integral neighborhood units. Designed to permit low density development of detached single-family housing supplemented by those uses which support and provide stability to such residential environment.
- Duplex (D): Designed to permit and encourage two-unit residential development in an environment which provides many of the amenities of a single-family district
- Multifamily (MF): Designed to permit and encourage medium density multifamily housing development of all types