Watauga's pro-business environment and its membership in numerous regional and state economic development organizations, provides the assistance needed in bringing business and industry to the area. The City has a bustling business environment of over 400 small, medium and large firms providing a diverse group of goods and services to its citizens.
These businesses support a quality of life unsurpassed by most towns of this size. While the business base includes several national chains, over 75% are independently owned including many franchise opportunities.
- Located in the heart of the Northeast Tarrant Region providing unity to the area and increasing the trade area for Watauga businesses.
- Close proximity to Fort Worth, Arlington, and Dallas.
- Enhanced transportation with several major state and national highways, including the Denton Highway (Highway 377) corridor. There is also easy access to rail and the DFW International Airport.
- Home of Capp Smith Park, a stocked spring-filled lake surrounded by lush grass and walking trail and plays host to many community functions, a 9/11 Memorial Site located outside our Fire Station, featuring a piece of steel from the World Trade Center, and the only City Water Tower in the world to hold four floors of office space.
Economic Advantage: Traffic Count & Road Improvement Map
- Median household income of $66,479
- Unemployment percentage below Tarrant County and the state average.*
- A trade area encompassing adjacent cities of Fort Worth, Haltom City, Keller, and North Richland Hills.
- An economy expected to grow anywhere from 2-5% over the next four years. **
- In addition, several industries enjoy above average sales and capture rates**
- Approximately 60% of all sales tax figures result from retail and food service. **
- Retail outlets report a capture rate of 131-271%.**
- Food service reports a capture rate of 130%.**
Shop Local Advantage:
The City works with all business owners in the promotion and success of their firms through the Watauga Shop Local Initiative. This free program includes:
- Online business database
- Business Spotlight of the Month: Highlights one business each month in the City Newsletter and on the City’s Web page.
- Business Spotlight Videos: Created by City Staff at request of Business and Placed on City's YouTube Page
Economic Development Incentive Advantage:
In addition, the City of Watauga provides several economic incentives for new and expanding businesses including: sales tax rebates, property tax rebates, development fee rebates, and financial assistance through loans and grants. City Council approved Guidelines and Criteria apply to all economic development incentives requested.
* According to the 2010 Census
** According to a 2011 sales tax report by MuniService